Do you want to discover the Catalan public library that was truly ahead of its time? Founded in 1895 by Rossend Arús, it is an essential source of reference material and a meeting point for students and researchers of culture, history and society.
The Biblioteca Pública Arús was set up in 1895 as a library to educate working people and is now a research centre specialising in contemporary social movements, with an important collection of books on the workers’ movement, anarchism and freemasonry.
When it opened, the library’s collection consisted of some 24,000 volumes that encompassed all the fields of knowledge of the day, including philosophy, religion, social sciences, law, languages, biology, botany, medicine, art, music, literature, geography and history. This highly prized collection survives almost intact today and bears witness to the age when the library was founded.
The Biblioteca Arús currently houses some 80,000 volumes of books and booklets, serial publications, manuscripts and incunabula, cartographic documents, music scores, microforms and electronic resources.
The guided tour of the Biblioteca Pública Arús will tell you about the history of this unique library and its connections with the history of the social movements prevalent in Barcelona during the 19th and early 20th centuries.What does your booking include?
Depending on the chosen option:
- Singular Night: library and Sherlock Holmes collection guided visit in Catalan or Spanish + a box of chocolates Amatller.
- 1-hour guided tour of the Biblioteca Pública Arús.
- Guided visit: 21/9, 25/9, 2/10, 5/10, 16/10, 19/10, 6/11, 9/11, 20/11, 23/11, 11/12, 14/12 and 28/12; at 10.30am in Spanish and at 12noon in Catalan.
- Singular Night: from 1st june to 30th September, Tuesdays at 7pm, in Catalan and Spanish.
: 1 hour.Meeting point
: Biblioteca Arús. Passeig de San Joan, 26. Metro: L1, Arc de Triomf stop and L2, Tetuan stop. Rodalies Renfe (suburban rail): R1, R3 and R4, Arc de Triomf station. Buses: 19, 51, 55, H16, 39, 40, 42 and 19.
- The Biblioteca Arús is fully accessible for visitors with reduced mobility.
Customer services provider: CASES SINGULARS