The Casa Milà, popularly known as La Pedrera (Catalan for stone quarry), is a unique building designed by the architectural genius Antoni Gaudí and represents the pinnacle of his achievements. The building was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1984.
You can visit La Pedrera during the day and night and see the building’s key areas:
- The terrace, an unusual rooftop charged with an artistic power that has nothing to do with the architecture of its day. Highlights include the stairwells and casings with their symbolic forms which have become an unmistakable feature of Gaudí’s work.
- The Espai Gaudí, is located in one of the most distinctive spaces designed by Gaudí: the attic in La Pedrera. It consists of 270 catenary arches made of flat brick and houses the only exhibition dedicated to Gaudí’s life and work. It showcases the architect’s creations through models and plans, objects and designs, photographs and videos.
- The Pedrera period apartment, a recreation of an early-20th century bourgeois family apartment which gives us an insight into the way they lived, with period furniture and household equipment of the period and decorative elements designed by Gaudí.
- The courtyards, which provide a focal point for the entire building and provide better lighting and ventilation. They were one of Gaudí’s most important innovations. The inner façades of the courtyards ceased to be residual spaces and became a true spectacle of shapes, light and colours.
Town: 08008 Barcelona
Phone: 902 202 138
Web site: www.lapedrera.com
How to get there: Metro: L3 and L5 stop Diagonal.| Bus: 7, 16, 17, 22, 24, 39 and V17.| Trains FGC: stop Provença.| Barcelona Bus Turístic: stop Pg. de Gràcia-La Pedrera.
November to February:
- La Pedrera by Day: daily from 9am to 6.30pm. Last admissions: 6pm.
- The Secret Pedrera: Wednesday to Saturday from 7pm to 10.30pm. A variety of tours and languages.
- La Pedrera by Day: daily from 9am to 8pm. Last admissions: 7.30pm.
- The Secret Pedrera: daily from 8.30pm to midnight. A variety of tours and languages.
Online shop: Pedrera by Day | Secret Pedrera
Services: Audioguide, bookshop and shop.
 932 853 832